[Sca-cooks] WoodCuts - OT

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 27 15:23:28 PST 2002

Serena da Riva asked:
> Please pardon the bandwidth, but seeing that this is a Knowne World list I
> thought that I might be able to find someone easier through this medium.

Yes, a continuing problem. *IF* I thought we could have a more general
maillist with the courtesy and lack of flamewars that is evident on this
list with the breadth of what the Rialto (rec.org.sca) used to have, I
would encourage such a list or newsgroup to be formed. Unfortunately,
looking at the way the Rialto has progressed downhill, I doubt it is
possible. :-(

> I am interested in creating period woodcuts and was wondering if anyone out
> there knows anyone in the SCA that specializes in that. I was hoping to get
> some pointers as to what books might be useful in my research on techniques
> etc...

At one time I was starting to research this. Since I am not an artist, I
was hoping that I could use programs like Photoshop to create medieval
style woodcuts from modern photos done at SCA events. I never got much
beyond ordering more books on the subject.

You might want to take a look at these files in the Florilegium:

woodcuts-msg       (9K)  4/25/95    Woodcuts. printing with carved wood.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCRIBAL-ARTS/woodcuts-msg.html

Hmmm. Not a big file. I suspect I have more info. I think I was thinking
about putting the info into another name or combining it with another
file and this just hasn't happened. If you will email me, I will try
to figure out just what the other file I was going to combine this with
was, and/or send you the raw data that I had collected.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com