[Sca-cooks] Egg Yolks (OOP, OT)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Oct 27 15:37:09 PST 2002

Also sprach johnna holloway:
>Angel food cake is generally thought to be American and developed either
>in the late 1870's or early 1880's. It was popular increasingly by the
>time of the St. Louis World's Fair. Mariani says the term was used first
>in the 1880's.
>
>If you want to look at food elated activities that historicaly involved
>the use of large numbers of egg whites, you ought to look at the
>wineries and their use of egg whites to "fine" or purify wine.  The
>yolks traditionally were donated to convents for use in sweets that were
>sold to help support the convent.

Conversely, in the 19th century, when photographers began using egg
whites in film and plate emulsions, they came up with egg-yolk-based
cakes to use up the extraneous yolks, which are still known as
photographer's cakes. I vaguely recall an article in a past edition
of PPC concerning this.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER