[Sca-cooks] Egg Yolks (OOP, OT)

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 27 19:32:27 PST 2002

Well- Ok..... This came from my Grandmother's files - It is my dad's
birthday cake.

Sunshine Layer Cake

Upper & Lower layers:
5 egg yolks
1 c sugar
1 t cream of tartar
1/2 c milk
1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/3 c flour

Beat yolks, sugar & cream of tartar until stiff.  Stir in milk and dry
ingredients.  Bake in 2 8" layers 30 minutes at 350 F.

Middle Layer
5 egg whites
1 t cream of tartar
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
Pinch salt

Beat whites and cream of tartar.  Add sugar slowly.  Fold in rest.  Bake in
one layer 30 min at 350 F

Sour Cream Filling
1 c sour cream
1 egg
3 t sugar
1/2 t cornstarch
1/2 c nuts (walnuts are best)

Stir sugar & egg together;  add sour cream & cornstarch.  Cook in double
boiler until thick. Add nuts.  Cool slightly- spread between 3 layers.
Frost with cream frosting if desired (I never do).  Better the day after you
make it.

--
Lady Hrosvitha von Celle
Per pale sable and gules, a fret and on a point pointed argent a pair of