[Sca-cooks] Sourdough

Mon Oct 28 14:02:07 PST 2002

Careful there, diastatic refers to the separation of normally joined parts.
What you are thinking of is diastasic, which refers to an amylase or mixture
of amylases that improve the conversion of starch to maltose.  Diastase (or
diastasic) malt is malted barley flour.  The malt powder adds amylase to the
fermentation to produce more maltose which converted to glucose by the yeast
to feed the lactobacilli (IIRC the process).  You essentially increase the
food supply for the yeast when you use it.

Bear