[Sca-cooks] cheese leftovers

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Oct 29 12:17:17 PST 2002

I decided to try making acid-coagulated cheese a couple of weeks ago, and
it was a resounding success. Half a gallon of whole milk, a pint of cream,
and six T of fresh lemon juice. I heated the milk and cream to 150F, added
the lemon juice, covered it and let it sit for a while, then strained it
through a flour-sack towel. It gave me approximately a pound and six
ounces of cheese, with no appreciable tang from the lemon juice. I wanted
to save the whey, but I was leaving the next day for two weeks, so I froze
it.

My question is this--can I still use the whey to make ricotta after it's
been frozen, or should I just cook with it and wait the ricotta-making for
another batch of cheese, when the whey is fresh?

Margaret