[Sca-cooks] Happy Dance!

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Wed Oct 30 05:40:02 PST 2002

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 09:26 PM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> My quinces came home today! Wa-hoo! They're bee-yoo-tiful!
> They arrived in nearly perfect condition.  Each one is individually
> wrapped in paper, and well cushioned.  The box is suprisingly heavy!
> And
> the *smell* is just divine! Shannon at The Goat in the Garden did a
> _great_ job!
> Lemmee see...I'm gonna make white and black pastes, and marmalade, and
> lots of murri, and I don't know what all else!!
> Anyone got any favorite quince recipes??

While the "Quynces or Wardones in paast" I made turned out nicely
(easy, yummy, and got complements from everyone who tried it - both
inside and outside the SCA), I was really surprised how good "Perys en
Composte" is.  This stuff would make a great sauce for roast pork, or
maybe served at breakfast with waffles.  It's also a good recipe for
using that last quince after you've made pies or whatnot and have one
left over.

http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/perys.html

-=-=-

Perys en Composte

This fruit compote can be served on its own or as a very nice sauce for
meat. A little powdered ginger can be addded with the cinnamon, and for
some extra zing add candied ginger before serving.

     * 1 cup wine
     * 2 cups water
     * 1/2 cup sugar
     * 1 tsp. cinnamon
     * 1 pear
     * 1 quince
     * 12 dates, pitted and chopped
     * 1/8 tsp. red sandalwood
     * dash salt

Put wine, water, sugar, and cinnamon into a pan and warm. Peel and core
fruit, slice into small, thin pieces, and add to wine. Add dates,
sandalwood, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until
fruit is tender. Serve cold.

Source [Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books, T. Austin (ed.)]: Perys en
Composte. Take Wyne an Canel, & a gret dele of Whyte Sugre, an set it
on the fyre & hete it hote, but let it nowt boyle, an draw it thorwe a
straynoure; than take fayre Datys, an pyke owt the stonys, an leche hem
alle thinne, an caste ther-to; thanne take Wardonys, an pare hem and
sethe hem, an leche hem alle thinne, & caste ther-to in-to the Syryppe:
thanne take a lytil Sawnderys, and caste ther-to, an sette it on the
fyre; an if thow hast charde quynce, caste ther-to in the boyling, an
loke that it stonde wyl with Sugre, an wyl lyid wyth Canel, an caste
Salt ther-to, an let it boyle; an than caste yt on a treen vessel, &
lat it kele, & serue forth.

Source [Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books, T. Austin (ed.)]: Peris in
compost. Take Wyne, canell, And a grete dele of white Sugur, And sette
hit ouer the fire, And hete hit but a litull, and not boyle; And drawe
hit thorg a streynour; And then take faire dates, and y-take oute the
stones, and leche hem in faire gobettes al thyn, and cast there-to; And
then take pere Wardones, and pare hem, And seth hem, And leche hem in
faire gobettes, and pike oute the core, and cast hem to the Syryppe;
And take a litull Saundres, and caste there-to in the boylyng, And loke
that hit stonde well, with Gynger, Sugur, And well aley hit with
canell, and cast salt thereto, and lete boyle; And then caste it oute
in a treyn vesse ll, And lete kele; And then pare clene rasinges of
ginger, & temper hem ij. or iij. daies, in wyne, And after, ley hem in
clarefied hony colde, all a day or a nigt; And then take the rasons
oute of the hony, And caste hem to the peres in composte; And then
serue hit forth with sirippe, all colde, And nougt hote.