[Sca-cooks] Better cooking through Forensic Accountancy

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed Oct 30 06:21:58 PST 2002

Hello!  Thank you very much for your research!  Please let me know if you
post this as a web page so I can add a link.

One small correction, "nutmeg and saffron are used very lightly, with only
four pounds each being ordered". My neighbor made this same mistake at a
restaurant supply store & ordered a pound of parsley, sight unseen, since
the price was so low. The man returned from the store-room with an 8-gallon
bag full of parsley.  A pound of saffron is enough to stuff a medium-sized
pillow. A few threads are enough to season a dish for 6 people. So perhaps
it would be better to compare Henry VIII's saffron use against Le
Menagier's 1 lb for 1 dinner of 40 people (provided of course that the
pound was the same).

Regards,

Cindy