[Sca-cooks] British coprolalia

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 30 16:13:04 PST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:22:54 -0800 (PST) Huette von Ahrens
<ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And all of these come from "Bulgar" because,
> for
> whatever reason, the Elizabethan English
> thought
> that all Bulgarians or Bulgars were sodomists.

This entry from the Merriam Webster dictionary may shed some light:

"Middle English bougre heretic, from Middle French, from Medieval Latin
Bulgarus, literally, Bulgarian; from the association of Bulgaria with the
Bogomils, who were accused of sodomy
Date: 1555"

The Bogomils, who inspired the Cathars and several other heretic groups, were
dualists.  They believed that fleshly pleasures were evil, and practiced
celibacy.

Heretics and other followers of "false religions" are often accused of all
kinds of vile practices.  Since the Bogomils condemned marriage, it's not
surprising that their enemies chose to accuse them of seeking other forms of
sexual satisfaction.

> So to use "bugger" you are putting down
> Bulgarians, just as you are doing the same when
> you say "I jewed him down" or "I scotched the
> deal" or "He's in dutch now".  All slurs to
> different nationalities.

In this case, it seems to be a religious slur.  Not that that's any better...

obFood Content: The Bogomils were vegetarians.

Brighid ni Chiarain