[Sca-cooks] Better cooking through Forensic Accountancy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 30 22:36:00 PST 2002

Anton commented:
> Erm, at the moment, it isnt on my web page at www.flurf.net/destoc ... but it will probably end there eventually.
>
> Good point on the sheer voume of a pound of saffron. I didnt think of that aspect ... Le Menagier is Paris, right ? I'm pretty sure I can dig some stuff up about the pound of Paris vs the 1530s English Pound ... whats the date on Le Menagier ?

You might want to try these two files in the COMMERCE section of the
Florilegium:
measures-art      (21K)  1/ 5/98    Definitions of many medieval measurements
                                        by Marc Carlson (Diarmaid)
measures-msg      (74K)  6/ 7/99    Period measures and cautions for recipes.

If you wish to re-write and possibly elaborate on this message, I would

consider it for the Florilegium. Right now, the main reason I've saved
it to be added to the p-prices-msg file is because it is a bit rough.
But even simply used for its 'raw' data, I think it would be of use
to those trying to determine period prices.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com