[Sca-cooks] Not lost my touch, OOP

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Sep 1 18:13:01 PDT 2002

Well,

I have just retrieved a batch of pound cake out of the oven, and I'm
pleased to report I haven't lost my touch!

Pound cake, in French is known as gateau quatre-quarts, which makes it easy
to remember the recipe :-)  Quatre quart literally means four quarters,
which stands for the four ingredients"  Eggs, sugar, flour and butter.

Weigh the eggs.  Weight same amounts of sugar, flour and butter.  Separate
yolks from whites, keep whites aside.  Melt butter.  Mix in yolks with
9/10th of the sugar, add a little vanilla, the grated zest of one orange,
and the juice of half an orange.  Beat well, until "fluffy".  Add melted
butter, whisk well into it.  Add the flour, 1/3 at a time, mix with wooden
spoon or spatula.  When all is mixed well, in another bowl beat egg whites
and remaining sugar to a stiff peak.    Add a little of the egg white to
the previous mixture, to lighten it.  Then fold that back into the
remaining egg whites.

Pour in buttered/floured container, zap in oven at 350F.

It is preferable to let it cool a little bit before eating, albeit
*extremely* difficult :-)

Wow, I'm proud of myself.  Three real meals *and* a dessert for myself in
three days!  Mind boggling... :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle