[Sca-cooks] Good News from Apollonia, was Good News from Drakey

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 3 15:27:04 PDT 2002

Apollonia Margherita wrote:
>  Having just got my AoA this weekend, (complete surprise),

Congratulations! I know that while i expected to get one eventually,
it was a surprise when i got mine.

Anahita
Sorry not to have responded sooner, but i'm still catching up on
3-1/2 days of mail. I was out of town at an SCA-related event this
long weekend, by an incorporated independent organization raising
money to buy land for SCA events (which will also for use by other
re-creation groups). Three days of camping with the temperature
around 100, and humidity 2 of the 3 days.

It has various humorous battles, both for adults and children, and
several silly filk Bardics. Every participant in each event is paid
for, i.e., sponsored, and all the money goes to the land fund. The
sponsor of the winner of each competition gets a prize.

There's also an auction that goes on for hours and hours.  I bought a
cookbook (Dining with William Shakespeare). Additionally, i put
myself up for auction to cook for 6 to 8 people (i specified that i'd
cook Medieval of any sort or modern Middle Eastern or modern
Southeast Asian). I went for $60 (!!!).

I think i still haven't recovered from the heat, although i drank
plenty of fluids: lots of water, a couple quarts of pure fruit juice,
and only 3 cups of coffee, one each morning.