[Sca-cooks] Menu for Aten Baronial Feast

Pat "Mordonna" Griffin mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 00:31:02 PDT 2002

Okay, here is the menu from the Baronial Birthday bash last June.  I was shorthanded, and wound up way past exhaustion, and was burned out for a couple of months.

Most of the recipes are from Platina, except the Apple Fritters.  I had planned to do Apple Fricatella, then got to the site, and realized I didn't have the recipe with me.  The Fritters I've done so many times that I have that recipe down by heart, so that's what I made.  That recipe came originally from Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books by way of His Grace's Miscellany as Lente Frytoures.  Mine would hardly do for Lent, though, as I cooked them in lard.  I'd have to say they were the odds on favorite, NONE were left over.  Also the most work.  Although the recipe is simple, standing over three soup pots of hot lard to fry 30 lbs. of apples is a LOT of work.  I thought the beer batter was going to take the kitchen over at one point.  Those little yeasty beasties were as happy with their environment as I was not.  The kitchen was air conditioned, but the temp over those pots probably stayed well over 100 degrees F.  I don't know how long I stood there, but it felt like days.

I chose the rest of the menu with an eye to simplicity as well as the "theme" of the event, which was "Italy Through the Ages."

The ham in wine was not a big hit, but the chicken in orange sauce was.  I used Seville oranges that I had garnered from the roadside plantings all over town here.  Several people asked what I had added to the sauce to create that sharp tang.

I won't post recipes here, but will reply if anyone asks for one specifically.  I'm a kind of a seat-of-the-pants cook, and generally use the recipe as a guide, rather than as a bible.  I don't, as a rule, substitute ingredients, but I do tend to measure by what "feels" right.

I made a dressing of grape must, oil, and vinegar in equal parts that was drizzled liberally over the cukes and the roast veggies, and served at the tables to go over the salad.  It was well received.

This event marked the 30th (I think) Anniversary of the Oldest Barony in the Knowne World.  At the head table were seated the reigning Baron and Baroness, and about 20 former Barons and Baronesses.  When called before this august assembly, I was treated to a spontaneous standing ovation with cheers and whistles from the populace.  THAT made the day worthwhile to this performing artist.

First Course

Ham in white wine,

Red Mustard, (I used Fra Nicola's redaction, and made it three weeks ahead of time.  Lovely stuff.  Thank you, dear.)
Cucumbers in oil and vinegar,

Roasted Carrots,

Roasted Onions,
Bread.

Second course

Roast chicken in orange sauce,

Loseyns in cheese,

salad,

Apple Fritters.

Third Course - Peaches in honey,
Walnuts, Almonds, Cheese, Apples.

Anne du Bosc, known as Mordonna the Cook

Atenveldt, Atenveldt