Red-Eye Gravy (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Starbucks )

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Sep 6 06:52:23 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 9:11 AM
Uncle A,

Would this be a sociological heresy against the orthodoxy yet?  Next
she'll be telling us she doesn't eat her ham on small soda biscuits
either!?!  While her recommendation sounds tasty, I don't want to do a
couple of centuries in purgatory for offending the Natural Law <g>.

Red-Eye gravy is nectar of divinity when you push out that little
nugget of marrow, from the round bone, into the liquid and dissolve it
therein.  Serve it up with some creamy grits (soft polenta even) and the
aforementioned biscuits, and you could sell it for $18 at a white table
cloth joint :o)

niccolo difrancesco

> But... <splutter!!!> how can you eat fried Smithfield Ham without
> red-eye gravy???

You scoop up some of the pineapple and brown sugar out of the pan and
put
it on top?

-- Jadwiga, who yes, has been known to throw in brown sugar and/or
pineapple when frying ham... though the last time I did it I used
lemon
juice and candied ginger (and served it with parnsips with five-spice
butter...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa