[Sca-cooks] Little Jill Horner!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Sep 9 22:27:38 PDT 2002

Hi y'all!

This evening I baked a plum pie in a valiant attempt to unburden the
sagging tree out back. I have a long way to go...

I had in mind a sort of tart thing, a crust with filling, the fruit, and
crumb topping. I made up teh crust, baked it a few minutes, and on that I
spread a mix of ricotta, an egg, and some sugar (ricotta becasue I found it
while rummaging in the frig). The plums were pitted and sliced, and mixed
with some cinnamon and mace, but no sugar- they are already way sweet. I
baked teh cheese mixture in the crust until it began to set up, then put
teh fruit on top, and put teh crumb topping on top. Baked until the topping
was browned, in a slow (325?) oven.

The topping was... oh la! And the plums were wonderful. The ricotta filling
wasn't so hot- the plum juice 'unset' it and it looks kinda gross, and
feels grainy. I think a custard or cream cheese would have been more what I
had in mind, but I'm not sure it would hold up under teh plum juice either.

Was good. Regina and I ate a bunch while it was still hot. :-)

'Lainie
-who rather likes to experiment with whatever is on hand...