[Sca-cooks] shopping for feast was foods/meats/etc

Nambeanntan at aol.com Nambeanntan at aol.com
Tue Sep 10 15:44:25 PDT 2002

In a message dated 9/10/2002 11:31:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kirsten at fabricdragon.com writes:

> but back to the topic.....
> how do most of you go shopping for feasts?
> where do you go to get your meats and vegetables (in general, i mean)
> where do you get good prices on beef?
> how do you get hold of.. duck, for example...
>
> how far in advance do you shop for feasts?
> Kirsten

When I get asked to do an event, I plan the menu combining the event theme,
available foodstuff, and the kitchen's equipment.  Generally I get meat from
a local wholesaler and produce from an organic farm.  The wholesaler carries
the usual beef, pork, chicken but also variety meats and exotics.  I remember
getting a great deal on geese because I ordered so far in advance.  The
organic stand is great because the veggies are picked the day I pick them up,
sometimes as I wait for them to pack the boxes.  If I want/need something out
of season or dairy I go to a wholesale club or a discount supermarket.  I
don't buy anything until like Thurs. or Fri before the event but orders go in
up to three months ahead then I call and double check a week before.  I know
a lot of cooks buy supplies ahead of time and precook or at least prep the
food but I never found that a time saver or much of a convenience as our
event site 99% of the time have professional kitchens that are great to work
in.

YIS
Ld Annan nam Beanntan
Shire of Brineside Moor