[Sca-cooks] Bellybuttons and garb

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Sep 10 16:52:09 PDT 2002

 Greetings! I'd like to take this opportunity to publically eat crow.

 In the course of some discussions, I've been saying that while SCA-cooks often use the term
 'not documentably period' to mean 'it's not a from a period recipe', other people (for
 instance, on the SCA-arts list) often use 'not documentably period' to mean 'things they are
 pretty sure aren't period but someone might suddenly discover are period' and giving
 examples including crochet and belly-button-revealing garb. Some nice person kindly repeated
 that back to a friend of mine, who pointed out that there is a culture known in the Old
 World that has lots of documented revealing of belly buttons-- that would be Indian (as in
 'Indian subcontinent') and of course I kicked myself. Because I _do_ know that, when I'm
 paying attention. So, if I led anybody astray, I'm sorry!

-- Jadwiga, feeling really stupid.