[Sca-cooks] proper field heraldry and disappearing heralds

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 10 22:34:41 PDT 2002

Aurore commented:
> As a herald, I learned to do it away from tents.  Something about being
> almost killed will teach you little things like that.  But everyone should
> remember when the schedule is pulished and it says wake-up call at 7am, that
> means herald or bagpiper will be mading lots of noises at 7am.

Good for you. I wish more heralds would learn things like that. It seems though
that there often seems to be a shortage of good field heralds. It maybe that
that early in the morning some folks just have trouble picking up the combat
quarrels instead of the ones with target points, you know fuzzy thinking and all.
In the interest of recruiting more heralds and perhaps keeping some of the
current ones from getting culled, I recently added this, rather good, article on
field heraldry to the HERALDRY section in the Florilegium:

Field-Herldry-art (48K)  6/ 9/02    "Field Heraldry" by H.L. Alden Pharamond.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/Field-Herldry-art.html

Feel free to forward this to any heralds you think might learn from this article or any folks that you think might be good heraldic candidates.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net