Fw:[Sca-cooks] Re: New Books of Interest

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 14:23:59 PDT 2002

I will add these to the newcomers book list, but here it is for those of you who are already members.

Aislinn

From: johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
To: "sca-cooks at ansteorra.org" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Re: New Books of Interest

Among the new books from Stuart Press out of
the United Kingdom are the
 following compilations and original works:

> Food and Diet Among Franks and Anglo Saxons,
 410 AD to 1066 AD. Draws
> heavily on Anthimus.
>
> 15th C. Medieval Cookery
 Vol. I: Recipes from Misc. Manuscripts 1420-1499.
> A small selection of 26 recipes from Douce Ms. 55, Ashmole 1439, and
> Harleian 5401. Includes original recipes, modern translation, ingredients
> list, and method.
>
> 15th C. Medieval Cookery Vol. II:
 Kalendare de Potages Dyvers 1430-1440. 33
> recipes from Harleian Ms. 279. Contents as above.
>
> Medieval Feast Menus 1380-1450.
Feast for Richard II, 1387; coronation
> feast for Henry IV, 1399; second wedding of Henry IV, 1404;
 Lord Grey's > feast; inauguration of John Chandler Bishop
 of Salisbury, 1417; Richard
> Flemming Bishop of Lincoln, (1420-1431);
 funeral of Nicholas Bubwith Bishop
> of Bath and Wells, 1424; inauguration of John
Stafford Bishop of Bath and
> Wells, 1425; inferiors menus for same;
 wedding of the Earl of Devonshire,
> 1431?; inferiors menu for the same;
installation of John Stafford
> Archbishop of Canterbury, 1443.
>
> Food and Drink in Shakespear's England. The diet, ingredients, feasts &
> banquets, feasting among common people, cooking techniques. Draws heavily
> on Markham, as well as various farm account books from the period.
>
> The Dairy 158-1660. Milk production, milking, dairy equipment, the dairy,
> processing milk, butter, buttermilk and whey, cheese, cream, economics of
> the dairy. Small selection of recipes, mainly from Markham and Digby.
>
> The Yeoman's Food 1580-1660. Documentation of types of quantities of foods
> consumed in the English yeoman's household. Sources include household
> accounts, probate inventories, and various others.

You can contact Amanda at
> www.acanthus-books.com
for pricing and more details.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

"Of the Good in you I can speak, but not of the Evil.  For what is Evil but Good -  tortured by its own hunger and thirst?  When Good is hungry, it seeks food , even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters." - Kahlil Gibran