[Sca-cooks] honey cake

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 14 08:50:46 PDT 2002

By honey cake, I mean something akin to the recipe below. I realize that the leavening used is not period. This cake is similar to pound cake. I was just wondering if something like it was made in period.

Natasha's Honey Cake

1/3 c sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 c eggs (usually 8 large)
3/4 c plus 2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 c warm water

Beat for 15 min, let batter rest for 10 min before pouring into pans ( two 8" square or one 12'). I found that beating it longer, about 20 min, works better. Bake at 274 degrees until golden brown. You can frost it with powdered sugar. You can also split it and use a raspberry jam for a filling.

Aislinn

"Of the Good in you I can speak, but not of the Evil.  For what is Evil but Good -  tortured by its own hunger and thirst?  When Good is hungry, it seeks food , even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters." - Kahlil Gibran