[Sca-cooks] For Nana, No Food Content

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Sep 17 17:18:06 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Phelps" <phelpsd at gate.net>
To: "SCA Food List" <SCA-Cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: 18. september 2002 08:21
Subject: [Sca-cooks] For Nana, No Food Content

> Important  site in Iceland?

Well, yes, but I haven't heard much about this excavation in the Icelandic
media. It is probably too much to say that the farmhouse "has been the stuff
of legends for nearly a millenium" - I mean, the sagas say that Þorfinnur
karlsefni and Guðríður Þorbjarnardóttir farmed at Glaumbær when they
returned to Iceland from America, and that their son Snorri lived there, but
there are no legends dealing with their - presumably rather peaceful - life
in Iceland after their return.

Glaumbær is, however, very well known as the site of the Glaumbær Folk
Museum, located in an old turf farmhouse (you can see a photo of it here:
http://www.krokur.is/glaumb/Ensku/Introduction.html ). The museum mainly
records Icelandic farm life in the 19th and early 20th century and places
little emphasis on earlier history (this may change, though, when the
excavation is finished).

This is the region I grew up in - Glaumbær can be seen from the high-lying
farm where I lived as a child and my parents still live in the fishing
village of Sauðárkrókur, mentioned in the story.

Nanna