[Sca-cooks] Turkey (was Food Myths)

Barbara G. Dodge awench1 at cox.net
Thu Sep 19 20:56:07 PDT 2002

It appears that this topic has faded away, but I just had to through in a
recently gained 2 cents worth.

A sculpture of a turkey was done by Giovanni Da Bologna in 1560.  It
definitely looks like the standard turkey we are used to seeing today, so
there is no doubt that some people were familiar with our favorite
"gobbler"!

The site I was searching is The Web Gallery of Art at:
http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/index1.html

If you click on the letter G on the left of the page, you can scroll through
all the names till you find Giovanni Da Bologna.

The site is wonderful, you can search by the time frame and narrow down your
search to the period you are interested in.  There is also an artist
(Giuseppe Arcimboldo1530-1593) who painted using fruits and vegetables to
form the features of the face!  In one of his paintings (Vertumnus), it
looks like he has used corn on the cob.  Could I be mistaking it for another
vegetable?

I do realize that just because these things appear in period works of art it
doesn't mean they ate them.  But it just might give one, well...food for
thought!