[Sca-cooks] Goulash experiment....

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Sep 24 16:01:46 PDT 2002

OK, I've just tried today's experiment with goulash, following, for the most
part, suggestions from Paul Buell.

Basic dish was stew-sized chunks of the basturma, which is basicly a
semi-dried beef covered with a coating of salt and spices, of which paprika
seems to dominate, sweated with onions in a pan on low heat. When it
appeared to be ready for it, I added some water and continued to let it
simmer. As it came closer to serving time, I added some mashed garbanzos to
thicken. Served it over home- made noodles, constructed of sour cream and
whole wheat flour.

Very good. I think in the future I won't want to use the basturma, because
it was a bit too salty for my tastes, but for a later-than-period goulash,
it worked very well. I think in the future, I'll dry and spice my own meat,
too.

Think I'll try this again, later, with fresh meat, as Gene recommends. As
essentially easy as this was to make, I think it might make a good dish for
the appropriate feast.

Phlip

Never a horse that cain't be rode,