[Sca-cooks] I want a Wegmans in Toledo (OOP)

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 06:32:27 PDT 2002

I was in Binghamton NY this weekend to play with clay
with some friends of mine.  There was a Wegmans.  A
store of which I had heard a lot yet never
experienced.  Let me just say "I hate everyone who can
shop at Wegmans any time they want".  I was like a kid
in a candy store.  Can you imagine what it is like to
have to suffer dull, bland, same, blah grocery stores
like Kroger in the Midwest.  Stores that stock
domestic Parmesan in the "exciting foreign cheese"
cooler.  So anyway I had a minor fit and spent way too
much money because I could buy stuff there that can
only be found around here by driving to 10 different
ethnic stores.
So anyway onto the food part of this.  Last night I
cooked up some of the delicious and expensive goodies.
Salad - fresh buffalo mozzarella and heirloom tomato
salad with Basil and olive oil (I grew the tomatoes)
Pasta - I made fresh pasta and cut it into 3/4 inch
strips.  Sauteed 1/4 onion in a pan until golden added
sliced porcini, chantrelle and hedgehog mushrooms
(about $8 cost).  Fried them until they just started
to caramelize and added a splash of white wine and
allowed that to evaporate then added 1.5 cups of
whipping cream a small pinch of saffron, salt and
black pepper which I allowed to simmer and reduce for
about 20 minutes.  Meanwhile I took fresh dry pack
scallops and pan seared them.  To serve it was the
pasta, scallops and then thick rich mushroom sauce.  I
was eating it going MMMMM.
Vegetable - just because they had them I bought baby
artichokes. With the rest of the meal being so time
consuming I just trimmed and steamed them and served
them with clarified butter.
I want a Wegmans.  Of course my weekly grocery bill
would shoot through the roof but I would eat well.
In addition to the mushrooms, scallops, artichokes and
mozzarella I bought - Macerel (sp?), peppadews,
olives, good italian cheese, a beautiful slice of
brie, florentines from the patisserie (they didn't
make it home), marmite, golden syrup, risotto rice.
Helewyse
Green with envy for all those that live closer than a
5 hour drive to Wegmans.