[Sca-cooks] butter

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 25 22:23:14 PDT 2002

Maire commented:
> I also ran across a mention, in one section of the Anon. Andalusian
> cookbook (I've been spending a lot of time in it lately), that refers to
> some people's custom of using butter with their bread, although I
> remember thinking that it was unclear (to me, at least) if that was a
> reference to butter-as-ingredient or butter-as-condiment.

Interesting. If as a condiment this would conflict the general
impression that southern Europe used olive oil while northern Europe
used butter. Since I thought part of this was based on the fact
that butter will not keep long in the southern climate, while olive
trees don't grow well in northern Europe, I wonder how this butter
was kept in Andalusia, which I thought was Spain.

Perhaps there are mountainous areas in Spain which are cooler than

Spain in general? Or maybe if you mix it into bread quick enough you
don't have to worry about the butter going rancid?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net