[Sca-cooks] Burger Khan

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Thu Sep 26 22:50:20 PDT 2002

To all on this list, When I first saw the orginal post
I was shocked, hurt and ready to flame, or at least
express my concern for some very strong and abusive
prejudice raised against myself and others like me.

I am a farmer, an Omnivore(see my teeth? Omnivore.)
and I am a pacifist Orthodox Christian. I tell you
these things for the same reason you shared yours,
that we might understand and know each other better.

Now, I could (and have) written diatribes about how
violence is a universal evil, persuasive in every
culture, time and faith. It is not rooted in one
particular religion, it is rooted in all human hearts.
The pagan Mayans and Aztecs were just as bad as the
Christian Spainards and Islamic Moghuls, and every
other human heart. The Vegetarian Hindus and Bhuddists
are as violent as their Omnivorous neighbors. I
suppose the only truly pacifist people might be the
Jains, at least in regard to not killing anything
else, EXCEPT humans, violence towards each other may
be something we all teach and strive against, but we
are all equally culpable for it.
Diet does not mirror behavior, at least not in that
way.

Secondly, I agree that there are some very scary
things about our food supply, both vegetable and meat.
It is the duty of all of us to know how and where our
meat and food items are produced and processed.
I raise my own meat and eggs and often supply others
around me, I have a garden and grow some of my own
veggies, though I do have a number of organic growers
and suppliers around me.

It continually surprises and dismays me that people
don't have a clue about their food and it's production
and such. That a hen ovulates the same reason, using
the same chemicals that a human does, just every 24
hours, instead of once a month! Ive had people marvel
that a hen will lay without a cock around!?  That not
every egg is fertilized and thus will not hatch!
That Brown and White(and Blue, and Beige and Green)
are all the same on the inside!!

If you distrust commercial meat, fine, buy organic,
from folks like me!!

Now as to killing and suffering, every small processor
I know tries to be a sensitive and merciful about it
as possible, from the administation of some sweet
alcohol as a knockout drug to the single shot to the
head with a bullet, to the quick flip and twist of a
neck, death should come as painlessly as possible.

I would like to thank all those who already responded
so positively.

Johann von Metten
medieval poultrier
boycott factory/battery eggs, buy free range organic!!

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"