[Sca-cooks] RE: Drakey's driving (ANOTHER HORROR STORY - PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED!)

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Mon Sep 30 23:53:24 PDT 2002

> I'm not sure whether to recommend something like a Suburban, 2 ton
>
> truck or hum-vee for you on the idea that they would be less
> distructable or to run well out of range *because* you might choose
> something like that...

OK, as much as it REALLY TRULY against my better judgement to do so, I
had my first 'incident' today, 3 lessons short of my licence.

Firstly, the 2nd part of the lesson (98%) of it went fine.  The guy
couldn't fault me at all.  The first 2% well that's another story...

In coming out of the parking lot I got confused because the learner car
has the indicators on the right (like most Aussie Cars) but my Dad's (an
American Import, the Ford Explorer) has it on the left.  So I'm
distracted by accidentally turning the wipers on instead of the
indicator.

The I realise I'm coming up to the main road way, way too fast so I
pressed soundly on the brake to stop and slipped (I was wearing Doc
Martens, bad mistake) and gunned the accelerator and shot across a 4
lane road missing a BMW Z3 convertible by no more than 6".  I did have
the foresight to get the car the hell out of traffic and into a parking
lot with good skill and took 5 minutes for the instructor and I to start
breathing again.  The rest of the lession was smooth and uneventful.

The first incident I've had while learning to drive but it was a
Doozy....  My instructor still thinks I'm fine and should easily pass my
licence test, it was just one of those things.  I'll be wearing
sandshoes to the rest of my lessions I think...

Drakey.