[Sca-cooks] OOP - Cholesterol singing happily through my veins...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 3 05:00:17 PDT 2002

Also sprach Avraham haRofeh:
>  > Finally we stumbled across a tiny, unprepossessing hole in the wall
>>  that advertised in big letters, "Steakhouse", and in smaller letters
>>  the name, "Mi Tio".
>
>Where, damn you, man, WHERE IS IT? <grin>
>
>Avraham

As I said, on Queens Boulevard in Elmhurst, across the big street
from the former Macy's building (the ugly white hockey puck, now a
smaller version/extension of the Queens Center Mall. Probably
something like 57th Avenue for a cross-street.

You might also like La Portena on 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights,
another Argentine Steakhouse with a similar menu and priced about the
same, but I think Mi Tio is  better food and a better deal. OTOH, La
Portena is near _good_ shopping (the Little India part of Jackson
Heights, including Patel Brothers, the large Indian version of
Sahadi's, saffron at ~$17 an ounce, etc.)

Argentine food is very interesting, BTW. Heavy Italian influence, in
addition to the Pan-Latino stuff like churrasco (plain [flash -- tee
hee] grilled steak, ranging from skirt to sirloin strip, originally
Argentine but now eaten all over most of South America, especially
Brazil) and rice and beans (which, yesterday, were frijoles colorados
-- pink) with visible fresh pork and onion therein and yellow rice.
Flan. The usual suspects. But all of impeccable quality, and then you
have a couple of dishes I could almost swear were imported by WWII
exiles. Appetizers consisting of cold, thinly sliced meats
(frequently either tongue or matambre, which is cold, sliced,
braised, stuffed flank steak), accompanied by a ubiquitous potato
salad and/or Salade a la Russe (smallish dice of mixed, cooked veg,
including peas, in a mayo-ish dressing -- a lot better than it sounds
when properly done; you just have to pretend to be wearing 50's hair
and clothing and you get along fine ;-)  ). And this seems to be a
recognized part of the cuisine, not just an aberration on the part of
that particular restaurant. (I can see Georgeous Muiredach raising
his eyebrows at this one.)

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER