[Sca-cooks] Playing around in the kitchen.

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 11:32:21 PDT 2002

>Unfortunately I spent the day alone. (Yeah, I know, Awwww!)
>ANYway, I wanted to at least barbecue a steak, but I don't have a
>grill for my apartment. I did have a nice t-bone so just
>proceeded to cook that up. I did a simple saute' lots of garlic
>in a frypan, add seasoned steak, brown then place sliced crimini
>mushrooms around it and put it in the oven.
>Gunthar

Sorry to hear you spent the day alone.  I did too, except for when I went to
the store, but that was ok by me.  Got a lot done.  I'm finally on my last
day of the course of Prednesone and my energy level and appetite have
returned so yesterday I got a lot of rearranging done in the studio.  Oddly,
my food worktable keeps growing.  From a 4 foot square now up to an eight
foot folding table with a side table (yeahyeah, pictures..).

Anyway, I'm also sorry to hear what you did to a perfectly good steak~!  You
must like soggy, well done steak.

I prefer a crispy outside and a well sealed rare-medium pan fried steak.
Just heat up the black skillet till it's really hot, sprinkle a thin layer
of salt in the pan and let that warm up (it gets translucent kinda) then
toss on the steak and wiggle it only enough to insure it hasn't stuck to the
pan and in a minute or two turn it over and repeat the wiggle process and
turn the heat down just a wee bit till the blood comes to the top.  If you
like them less "mooey" you can turn the heat down just a touch on side one
for a few more minutes, then turn it back up to 'seal' side two and then
turn it down again just a wee bit.  The pan should never get wet, except of
course from the fat.
Yum.  Steak, what's for dinner tonight!
Olwen