[Sca-cooks] Re: Boil in Bag

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Sep 4 10:01:03 PDT 2002

>     I guess I wasn't clear in my original question.  Someone had
> mentioned that saran wrap and other plastics didn't melt in boiling
> water.  I took that to mean they were saying you didn't need a designated
> "boil-in bag" to boil food in, but I was concerned about putting a
> storage bag into boiling water and having it melt against the side of the
> pan.  I'm sure I could work out a system where it wouldn't touch the pan
> at all, but it would be quite a contraption!  I guess I'm just paranoid
> because I remember the time (many long years ago) when my mom asked me to
> heat up the rolls and I threw the entire bag in the oven and turned it
on...

Oh. In that case, I'd say use the bags designed for the task, don't screw
with the others. Boil in bags are cheap and easy to come by, and you don't
want to risk your food.

Hint- when the other sort do fail, they don't genteelly leak a bit of food
out and let a bit of water in- you quickly have a stew pot full of watered
down food and plastic.

Don't take the chance.

Phlip