[Sca-cooks] Playing around in the kitchen.

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Wed Sep 4 15:15:12 PDT 2002

> Well, they're cleaned somehow, but I'm really not sure how. Getting
> mushrooms wet before use is generally considered a no-no. When I
> worked for Mark May, I wasn't even allowed to clean them too
> carefully. His comment: "Hey, man. They're supposed to taste like the
> forest. If you wash the forest off them, what's the point?" (This was
> in connection with chanterelles or morels, I forget which.)

Well... you're not supposed to wash mushrooms "because they'll soak up water
like a sponge" (or so my grandmother taught me). Unfortunately, the lady was
wrong. Unless you let 'em sit in a bowl of water, they won't soak up enough
water to make any difference. Now, if you wash 'em and don't dry 'em quickly
and thoroughly (or use 'em right away), they'll get slimy fairly quickly -
but you CAN wash mushrooms.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag: To iterate is human, to recurse divine.