[Sca-cooks] plant allergens

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Sep 4 18:30:38 PDT 2002

> At 11:51 AM 9/4/02,Phlip said something like:
> >As an example, the little green sprouts on the inside of a garlic clove
is
> >mildly toxic, and it affects some people. Most people who think they are
> >allergic to garlic are allergic to that chemical in the sprout, not
garlic
> >itself. If you remove that little sprout, they're just fine.
>
> One of my most favorite korean relishes/kim chee ingredients is Garlic
> leaves!! Innnnnteresting.  The times I have had it served to me it had
been
> marinated for a long time in a red pepper sauce, and it tasted great.

Well, as I said, some people are sensitive to it, some are not. Myself, I
can eat lotsa garlic, and the only ill effect is that I smell like it for a
few days- it goes into my system and out my sweat glands- bathing doesn't
help. Other folks, though, will get all the symptoms of food poisoning,
although usually pretty mildly.

Phlip