[Sca-cooks] saffron crocus

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 6 16:06:17 PDT 2002

Greetings,

A searh resulted in:
>...This fall blooming crocus is more commonly called the Saffron Bulb or
Saffron Crocus! It begins blooming in September and continues through
October! The purple flowers have deep purple veining! It's orange-red
stamens are the source of saffron, the worlds most expensive spice! Plant in
full sun or partial shade and well-drained soil. 3-5in. tall. Zones 5-8

Common Name: Saffron Crocus
Scientific Name: Crocus sativus
Type: Perennial
Month of bloom: September/October
Height: 3-5"
Zones: 5-9
Bulb size: 8/8cm

When I have the space I am going to buy in bulk from:
http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/

They sell large quantities of bulbs fairly cheap. And if you want any amount
of the spice at all you need bunches. Each bulb produces a few flowers and
each flower produces 3 stigmas.

Good Luck!
Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva