[Sca-cooks] Meadshtufff

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sat Sep 7 09:17:55 PDT 2002

>Hail and well met, I'm going to stick my nose where it doesn't belong :-]

As long as it doesn't get squashed, or you don't mind it being squashed ;-)

>Such alcohol abuse wasting good Vodka.

This was a joke, in case y'all hadn't realized...

>If I might suggest an IODOPHOR Sanitizer.  It's both tastless and
>oderless.  It also keeps your mead pure
>and you can worry more about how it will taste rather than Am I going to put
>someone in the hospital.

Having never heard of iodophor, I did a bit of looking around on the web
and found:
http://www.bayareamashers.org/iodophor.htm

Which proved to be an interesting read.

I shall stick to using bleach.  It worked when I was brewing beer ten or so
years ago.  I looked at various sanitizers.  Some contain sulfites, which I
refuse to use because too many people are allergic to it.

Then I looked at others that need to be air dried before carrying on, which
is a hassle, at best, and requires some interesting contraptions to make it
work (like how long will it take for a carboy to dry, and figuring out the
way to have it upside down, let alone 4 dozen bottles at bottling time...)

The problem I see with iodophor is that it contains iodine.  Considering
that I get anaphylactic reaction to crustaceans (due to iodine content),
and that I react just as badly to iodine to cleaning wounds, it might be
best for me to stay away from it.

Granted, I suspect that the quantities used would only leave traces, and
would not bother me if I were to once in a while drink brews from someone
who uses iodophor.  However, to use on stuff I'd be drinking on a regular
basis, it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

And so I shall stick to bleach.  I know, it's not the best, and all
products have pros and cons.  But for me, bleach is the least noxious
alternative.  :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle