[Sca-cooks] Menu for Aten Baronial Feast

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Sep 8 10:19:51 PDT 2002

At 09:32 AM 9/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm curious, what's the name of the Barony?  I know they've GOT to be
older than 30 years - our Barony is 32 or 33 years old now!  I'm always
exited by any kind of history: family history, SCA history, etc.

>>  This event marked the 30th (I think) Anniversary of the Oldest Barony
in the Knowne World.  At the head table were seated the reigning Baron and
Baroness, and about 20 former Barons and Baronesses.

Well, I just finished reading the 'History of the Kingdom of the West'
(from the First Tourney onwards- it is a fascinating read!) and IIRC yes,
the Barony of Atenvelt was the first Barony- it was the latest 'new thing'
as they were trying to figure out what to do with this new organization...

There seems to be an ongoing debate as to which is the Oldest Barony in An
Tir- Three Mountains and Madrone were created Baronies on the same day, in
the same court. Apparently Thrre Mountains was announced first, but as
Madrone starts with M it is first in the OP. So go figure. It's like
listening to identical twins arguing about who's older...

'Lainie