[Sca-cooks] saffron crocus

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 11:37:24 PDT 2002

>Actually, while on the subject of saffron...
>
>I was in the local "frou-frou" gourmet food shop yesterday, and they were
>selling "Mexican saffron" right next to the real saffron.  It was
>sub-labeled as "safflower".  I opened a packet and smelled it, and it
>smelled nothing like saffron, so obviously it couldn't be substituted for
>the *flavor* of saffron... but has anyone ever used it for coloring? Would
>you get a similar golden effect?
>
>Generys

Yes.  That is one of the subsitutes they use for saffron also.  It takes a
little more to give colour but it will colour stuff.  I have it around for
when I do mundane food for like the office or something.  You are right, it
does not have the same aroma nor the same taste, but if you are using it for
colouring it will work almost as well.  Better than food colouring, IMO.
Olwen