[Sca-cooks] Garlic allergies

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Sep 9 14:07:28 PDT 2002

> i noted a thread about garlic allergies in the archives....
> i am allergic to garlic... to the point that the last time i handled any
> with my bare hands my hands swelled, turned red, and cracked and bled....
> people asked me if i was using "oven cleaner" in the kitchen....
>
> so yeah. some folks do have some nasty garlic allergies (and it makes
eating
> out very tough)

Welcome to Cook's List ;-)

An actual allergy to garlic is unusual, althougfh it's quite possible, just
as allergies to any protein are- usually, as I said, it's a reaction to the
one mildly poisonous chemical in the little sprouts.

Since you're new to the List, you're likely not aware of all the discussions
we've had about allergies and allergic reactions- there are a fair number of
people out there that use the word when there's actually something else
going on, or who cry "allergy" when actually, they just don't like
something, and I've been trying, off and on, to make sure people understand
the difference.

No one wants to put someone into anaphalactic shock, so we try to be careful
about making sure ALL ingredients are listed, and avoid cross-contamination,
as part of our responsibilities as Cooks, along with other safe food
handling procedures (we're not into giving folk food poisoning either ;-)

But, welcome to the List ;-) I'm sure you'll enjoy our discussions ;-)

Phlip