[Sca-cooks] Mrs Levy again

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Sep 10 07:43:31 PDT 2002

the Mikva is sometimes a fee for use, but no one is ever "turned away" for
lack of funds. it is an integral part of orthodox jewish observance.....

no... not just any old bath will do. the mikva must be constructed in
specific ways. the water must be drawn (by a complex legal code i do NOT
understand) from rainwater or from certain other natural sources........
(incidentally, in the absence of a mikva, some lakes. and the ocean are
acceptable. i *think* the point is that it has to be "natural" water)

there are rules regarding immersion, and the blessings to be said. etc..

the mikva is also used (DRagging the email back on topic) for the immersion
of dishware as part of the final stage of Koshering them....
although dishes may be used without immersing them, it is NOT desirable. and
permenet dishes are supposed to be immersed...... same as people..... except
you usually only ever do it once.......
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com