[Sca-cooks] foods/meats/etc

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 10 09:43:58 PDT 2002

>in my local area. (Philadelphia) Wilson's meats is having a sale..... >and
>i was thinking about feast buying and preperation.......
>they usually have chicken leg quartrs pretty cheaply. and i know they >make
>good gravy and stock.....
>(they happen to have miscut chicken breasts on sale. in case anyone
> >needsany..)(also, Superfresh is selling perdue oven stuffer roasters >for
>.69 cents a pound)
>
>but back to the topic.....
>how do most of you go shopping for feasts?
>where do you go to get your meats and vegetables (in general, i mean)
>where do you get good prices on beef?
>how do you get hold of.. duck, for example...
>
>how far in advance do you shop for feasts?
>Kirsten

We, here in Bright Hills seem to work a lot differently than lots of the
others do.  We have a pretty big cooks guild and several folks in the guild
are _always_ shopping prices.  Some are members of Sams Club, some go
through the store flyers, some have contacts with butchers, some with the
slaughterhouses and some of us are usually going into Jetro/Restaurant Depot
for one thing or another.  If anyone sees a really incredible 'in-store'
sale, we jump on the phone to some of the others and sometimes we get lucky.
  Among us there are several freezers which are usually in some state of
full for projected events.
If you are interested in checking out a Jetro/Restaurant Depot check here to
see if there is one near you.  I see there is one in Philly.  You need a tax
number but membership is free.
http://www.jetro.com/stores/stores.htm
Olwen who just loves buying kilo wheels of brie for about $8.00.