[Sca-cooks] Forks in period??? (Somewhat OT)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Sep 10 17:00:11 PDT 2002

>Quick question on fork use.  Not quite on topic, but...
>
>I'm sure someone has a handy reference to when forks were actually used at
>first?

There's a booklet from the V&A that has what they say is the first
known picture of people eating with forks. I think its about 13th c.
The Cleveland Museum of Art has a Byzantine fork, eating size, that I
think is noticeably earlier than that. I have a copy of a very old
British Museum publication which describes two Anglo-Saxon fork and
spoon sets, one unfinished.

So far as I can tell, the fork existed as an implement occasionally
used for eating from pretty early, but became a standard eating
implement, at least in Europe, only at or just after the end of our
period.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/