[Sca-cooks] Re: Cayenne, NOW Badia Spices

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 12 05:10:47 PDT 2002

<Adamantius> Recently, though, I was surprised by the flavor of ordinary
cayenne,
> which I bought a month or two ago in the cheapo Badia brand
> herb/spice section of the supermarket, which is next to, but not
> really part of, the section that stocks the regular Lowry's,
> McCormick, or even store brand spices. >

Greetings,
If your store is the same as mine then Badia also puts out a pretty good
cinnamon. Our Krogers sells sticks in a package labeled 1/2 oz for 50 cents.
But I went ahead and weighed it anyway and most of the packages had between
3/4 and 1 1/4 oz in it. They pack it by how many sticks fit in the package,
not weight.

I can never remember which is which cassia vs cannela but it is the good
kind that is layers of thin like paper not thick like pine bark. But - if
you buy it pre-ground then it is the not so good stuff.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva