[Sca-cooks] British Candy

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Sep 13 13:50:03 PDT 2002

Re: rahat loukoum...I dunno what that even translates to, and I've not
yet had the fortunate circumstance to enter a Middle Eastern
grocery....*sigh*
The British "turkish delight" caught my eye because I'd heard that
turkish delight was similar to a (relatively) local candy known as
Aplets and Cotlets, which I like. It came in a flat, rectangular bar,
about half the size of an American Hershey bar, and was primarily made
of a strongly rose-flavored jelly-stuff, with a light/moderate coating
of milk chocolate.  I say "jelly" only because I lack a more accurate
term--it was more like the center of a soft "fruit slice" or gumdrop,
than anything else.
I don't recall pistachios one way or t'other, and I'm pretty sure there
wasn't any date-ness involved.  No powdered sugar, either, so it's
apparently quite different from the middle-eastern variety you're
thinking of....
And what is your opinion on bangers? I had a number of sausages (the
breakfast variety) in both Britain and Ireland, and about all I noticed
was that they were all much smoother in texture than American breakfast
links, and frequently *very* strongly tasting of sage.
--Maire