[Sca-cooks] carrot cake

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 21:36:34 PDT 2002

On 13 Sep 2002, at 23:11, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamant wrote:

> Lady Brighid nic Chiarain has a nice translation and adaptation of a
> period recipe for a Spanish (I think) carrot hulwah-type "fudge"...
>
> Adamantius

The recipe is indeed Spanish, and is from Granado (1599).  The
Spanish name translates as "grated carrot", but I call it "carrot
candy".  It is undoubtedly descended from the recipe for "carrot
paste" in the Anonymous Andalusian cookbook, though the latter
does not contain pine nuts.  I think it's tasty, but it tastes strongly
of honey, and doesn't particularly remind me of carrot cake.  The
carrot pie from Granado, OTOH, is much closer in taste to a
modern carrot cake, but of course the texture is very different.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net