loukoum... Re: [Sca-cooks] British Candy

Lee & Susan lecachot at airmail.net
Sat Sep 14 06:21:31 PDT 2002

Okay, I've got to delurk here for a moment; the best lokums are from the
Spice (or Egyptian) Market in Istanbul.  There area stalls devoted to
nothing but this sweet; rosewater, lemon, pistachio, walnut, even some
stuffed with a cream filling.....  Of course, it's also known as Turkish
Delight.  My dictionary defines rahat as "to ease" and lokma as "morsels",
so rahat lokum would be something like easing morsels.  I've also heard that
the name means "to ease the throat."
Susan (sometimes known as Gulbahar) who is really wanting to go back to
Turkey