[Sca-cooks] Pork fat

Butterflye butterflye at runbox.com
Sat Sep 14 07:55:03 PDT 2002

> I made some sausage earlier this summer, using ordinary ground
> pork from Costco.  The sausages were tasty, but a touch dry.
> Recipes on the web call for pork fat to be added to the ground meat
> (which already has a fair amount of fat in it).  What kind of pork fat
> should be used, and where do I get it?  In my supermarkets I see
> salt pork, fatback, and lard.  Would any of these work?

My grandmother used to make a lot of homemade sausage and also Canadian pork
pie called Tourtière, and she always used lard for the added fat. Salt pork
and fat back will add a saltier flavor, which is fine if you want that, but
if you just want more moistness without any additional flavor, lard would do
it.

~~Lorète du Papillon