[Sca-cooks] Henry VIII Eat Like a King Special

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 16 01:22:53 PDT 2002

I didn't find too much to complain about.  Fiddly little things, like
calling a subtlety a "deception"
and making it look like their food historian was the one who discovered the
recipe for hipocras.
On the whole, it was a good hour of information.  Next step, a how-to show!
This is where we
come in.  Bwahaha.

They may have substituted spices in the website recipes for the masses but
they showed the real stuff on-screen
during the show.  I know Grains of Paradise, long pepper, etc. when I see
them and they got
them all right.  I think I'd like to spend a week or two with the nice
people in the Tudor outfits
who were working in the period kitchen there.  Not everyone's idea of a
vacation, is it?

I also Tivo'd the hour following, about contemporary British cuisine.  Very
much the Public Relations
presentation, displaying the best of British food with its best face on.
The main philosophy is what I've
been saying all along, the best of British food is the stuff that is farmed
there, the wonderful
meats, dairy products, fish, native fruit and vegs, the farm food not the
nasty factory city food.

Selene Colfox