[Sca-cooks] Music at Feasts

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Sep 16 07:10:59 PDT 2002

>In the threads about bagpipes and trumpets and horns, I seem to recall
>that someone asked about horns being used to announce courses at feasts.
>Was there a source for this?

Hi. That was me. I'm translating Morris' edition of Liber Cure Cocorum.

Page 29.  #73.  [Sawce] For cranys and herons. Line 2, has "Šat on bare
motŠ". This is glossed by Morris as "at one single blast of the horn".  A
mot or mote being a note played on a horn or bugle.

I'm wondering if there was a standard fanfare played when a crane or heron
was presented.

Cindy