[Sca-cooks] Ellipsis...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 16 23:02:59 PDT 2002

Aislinn commented:
> Steffan wrote:
> <<sigh. Want to do this for the Florilegium? :-) I often correct typos
> and spelling in the messages going into the Florilegium. I've had
> teachers that would probably freak out if they knew I was now
> correcting Other people's spelling and punctuation. I often don't
> have time to correct all the things I see. Unfortunately, I sometimes
> even find myself correcting a message that I know will not be going
> into the Florilegium. :-(>>
>
> Stefan, I would love to do some editing for you. Elipses don't faze me, what drives me nuts is the improper use of its/it's and apostrophe S being used to create plural words. Makes me CRAZY!! I see it on billboards and in the professional print media all the time too. I used to write for a newspaper, if that will provide any needed incentive.

<

Thank you. Anahita also said she might be willing to do this. I'd

like to get more folks working on the Florilegium. I'd like to keep
it going, but it takes a lot of my time and there is so much more
that could be done than I have time for.

A number of folks on the SCA-Librarians maillist have offered to
update and complete the incomplete bibliographic references that
are often found in the message files, but so far that seems to
have not resulted in much.

Part of the problem of bringing in more folks on the Florilegium is
managing things so that work doesn't get overwritten at the wrong
time. I think the way to do this is probably to let me know which
files you wish to work on, then I will try to avoid updating those
files while you have them 'checked out'. And then when you send me
the updated file(s), I will use my standard procedures to create
the multiple versions and upload them to the website. Perhaps
sometime we can figure out how to give access privaledges to others
for the website, and someone can take over the uploading of files
to the site. Or maybe I could send out the edited selections saved
for particular files and the assistants could update the files. That
might reduce the delay right now that is currently there in how
often any particular file gets updated.

The Florilegium masters are kept in Word 6.0 format, so it would
probably be good if folks wanting to work on the Florilegium could
at least read and write that format. Although perhaps RTF formatted
files might work fine for the transfers.

Not too long ago, someone corrected me on how I was using "it's"
vs. its in one of my monthly Florilegium articles, and I've tried
to remember to write it correctly since then.

I am trained, and I like to think my apptitude is, in engineering
not writing. So, I will be the first to admit that I am a bit out
of my league in editing the Florilegium. So, additional advice or
help is appreciated.

Perhaps I ought to post a notice on the website about what kinds
of work I might have for interested volunteers on the Florilegium.
Just as soon as I finish, and post, that list of suggested articles
that I've been saying I would do for many months now.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net