[Sca-cooks] Trilobites, or SCA period has no beginning date...

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Sep 17 20:14:27 PDT 2002

Selene Colfox wrote:

>The Denman Institute for Research on Trilobites has two short articles
>and photographs of possible interest,
>"Trilobites as Gingerbread Molds"
>"Living Falkland trilobite" - yup, they're still out there.  We could
>cook them, but would they taste like chicken?
>
>http://www.island.net/~rolfl/TP5.htm

The "living trilobites" surprised me, as I had thought they all died
out well before the dinosaurs appeared. So I looked up the reference,
and unfortunately I was right--these aren't trilobites, but rather
"the trilobite-like isopod crustacean Serolis trilobitoides", thought
to be trilobites by their 19th-century discoverers. (Isopods are
familiar to non-biologists as those little crawly things variously
called sow bugs or pill bugs or armadillo bugs.) Oh well. And they
would probably taste like shrimp or crab anyway.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook