[Sca-cooks] Food Myths

Wed Sep 18 09:03:08 PDT 2002

Be careful that you don't create your own myths at the same time.

The recipe for recovering "tainted" meat is not meant to recover meat that
is "rotten."

The recipe is in Markham (IIRC) and is obviously not a commonly followed
practice from the wording.  As I recall, the recipe is for a haunch of
venison, which is a rather large piece of meat.  Large pieces of meat may
experience localized decomposition rather than general decomposition.
Obvious tainted areas are removed and the bones and tissue around them are
removed.  Bones and connecting tissue tend toward early decomposition.  The
meat is then buried for a time, which exposes it to various nematodes to
remove any remaining decomposing meat (think of treating a wound with
maggots to remove gangrenous tissue).  After being dug up, the meat is
cleaned, trimmed, and cooked (which kills off parasitic nematodes).  As long
as the meat isn't too far gone to begin with, the recipe might work.

Bear