[Sca-cooks] Food Myths

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Sep 18 09:46:42 PDT 2002

Also sprach Generys ferch Ednuyed:
>  > The recipe is in Markham (IIRC) and is obviously not a commonly followed
>>  practice from the wording.

I think there's at least one or two earlier, but similar, recipes, in
English, from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.

>   As I recall, the recipe is for a haunch of
>>  venison, which is a rather large piece of meat.  Large pieces of meat may
>  > experience localized decomposition rather than general decomposition.

Anybody needing support for this statement can talk to the staff of a
good steakhouse that does their own butchering, or even the butcher
in the finer markets that sell dry-aged beef, about the amount of
moldy surface material they have to trim off before sale. Now, or
course, that meat is refrigerated, but refrigeration slows down
decomposition, and doesn't eliminate it, so there are likely some
major similarities to the process.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER